LOUDONVILLE -- This year marks a century since a group of Loudonville residents decided enough was enough.
Despite being paved, South Mount Vernon Avenue between Reservoir and Brewery Hills was constantly washed out. That fact led to pavement collapses and deep ravines along the road.
So, in 1920, the task of grading the street was undertaken as a means to reduce the erosion of the road.
Horse-drawn wagons and a steam shovel scraped off over 12 feet of loose soil from the roadway until a firmer roadbed could be established, allowing the street to be paved with brick. The pass, cut deep between the hills, is still readily visible while traversing the path.
More information on the Cleo Redd Fisher Museum can be found at this link.