LOUDONVILLE -- Before Loudonville built a municipal power plant in 1892, the village relied on natural gas to light the streets.
The gas came from wells, usually on private property, that was then piped into town and up to the street lights.
The first such well supplied gas to the lantern at the corner of Main and Water Streets, and was still producing gas in 1959 when Ray Kiefer posed with it.
Area children and other passerby would use the bubbling gas escaping from the well to fry eggs for a daytime snack.
More information on the Cleo Redd Fisher Museum can be found at this link.