LOUDONVILLE -- In 1886 W.H. and Ned Ruth, the sons of the editor of the Loudonville Advocate newspaper, began publishing their own weekly periodical known as The Full Moon.
The Full Moon was published every Sunday and was similar to a magazine, both in size and content. It billed itself as paying "particular attention to fashion, music, lodge, church and society notes besides a class of reading matter that will be of interest to an intelligent reading public."
The "intelligent" bit may have been misleading, but advertisers didn't seem to mind as many local and national ads were published.
In addition to the promised articles on local meetings and other regards, the two boys filled the paper with many tongue-in-cheek articles, jokes, and alleged questions from local readers. One example was when an Ashland girl asked if it was true that kissing cured freckles?
The editors replied that they couldn't say positively, but such a simple solution seemed worth trying. The girl was advised to call on them after business hours for assistance with the cure.
When asked why bachelors didn't marry, the boys responded, "Come to think of it, we never did see a bachelor who was married."
Another hoax article reviewed the Loudonville Foundry & Cannon Works, including a wood-block print of a building consisting of only a front wall and no roof or back walls.
"The above cut is an excellent representation of the Loudonville Foundry and Cannon Works, which was established 300 years B.C. This enormous works, which covers an area of 43 acres, is the original elephant cage used in the ark. It may seem strange to people abroad that our city can support such an extensive works, but nevertheless it is too true.
"The firm, owing to an order lately received for 16,000 cannon, are compelled to work day and night, including Sunday. Owing to the heat required in casting, a portion of the roof and siding was removed for ventilation."
The paper was first published on May 2, 1886 and sold for 3 cents per copy. At least 30 issues were printed, possibly more, as the most recent-dated copy in the museum's collection is dated Dec. 5, 1886.
More information on the Cleo Redd Fisher Museum can be found at this link.