LOUDONVILLE -- Though Saturday's rainy, warm weather didn't make it feel like wintertime, the Mohican Winterfest celebrated the season anyway with its annual ice sculpture display in downtown Loudonville.
Ice carvings lined Main Street and further up the road, Elegant Ice of Broadview Heights offered live sculpting demonstrations.
The first one of the day kicked off at 11 a.m., with a small crowd that doubled in size by the time one of the sculptures was complete.
Jeff Myers took a chainsaw to a block of ice, and with smooth, skillful cuts, he made carved the block until it began to take shape. Rounded edges, sanding and detailing would later transform it into a tulip.
"After he designs it, he punches out the outside, kind of like a cookie cutter would do," his coworker Aaron Costic said.
Another picked up the blocks of ice falling from Myers' block of ice and carved audience members names into them.
Lexington boys, Henry and Silas Russell, were two of the lucky recipients. They were attending the event for the first time with their parents, Cara and Chris.
"I love it. I got an ice sculpture," said Silas, 4.
He and his Henry, 5, held the blocks of ice against their winter coats -- proud and unbothered by the ongoing melting process.
Later, they'd snap a family photo inside a giant ice snowflake that Costic had carved.
"It's a nice warm day, so we wanted to come and enjoy it," Cara Russell said.
The event continues Saturday night and Sunday.
Saturday, Jan. 11
- All Day ~ Ice Sculptures on Display at Central Park and Downtown.
- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. ~ Model Train Expo at the Loudonville Fair Building.
- 10:30 a.m. ~ Stuffed Animal Workshop at Loudonville Public Library.
- 11 a.m. ~ Ice Carving Demo at Central Park.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. ~ Ala Carte Lunch at the United Methodist Church.
- Noon to 4 p.m. ~ Cleo Redd Fisher Museum Tours at 203 East Main St.
- Noon to 4 p.m. ~ Workman Cabin Tours at Central Park.
- Noon to 4 p.m. ~ Vintage and Newer Snowmobile Show at Central Park.
- Noon ~ Ice Carving Demo at Central Park.
- 12:30 p.m. ~ Stuffed Animal Workshop at Loudonville Public Library.
- 1 p.m. ~ Ice Carving Demo at Central Park.
- 1 to 4 p.m. ~ American Legion Riders Sponsored Poker Walk at the American Legion.
- 2 p.m. ~ Ice Carving Demo at Central Park.
- 2 to 9 p.m. ~ Moto Pizza at Ugly Bunny Winery.
- 2:30 p.m. ~ Stuffed Animal Workshop at Loudonville Public Library.
- 3 p.m. ~ Ice Carving Demo at Central Park.
- 4 p.m. ~ Ice Carving Demo at Central Park.
- 6 to 9 p.m. ~ Henry J. Live Music at Ugly Bunny Winery.
- 7 p.m. ~ Little Women at the Ohio Theatre.
- 7 to 11 p.m. ~ Free Entry Snowball Dance with DJ Rockin' Al at the American Legion Banquet Hall (21 and over).
Sunday, Jan. 12
- All Day ~ Ice Sculptures on display at Central Part and Downtown.
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. ~ Annual Mohican Winter Hike at Mohican State Park Trails.
- Noon to 4 p.m. ~ Model Train Expo at the Hans Event Center.
- 2 p.m. ~ Little Women at the Ohio Theatre.