ASHLAND -- The Ashland County Health Department (ACHD) received confirmation of the 18th and 19th positive laboratory test results for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Ashland residents, according to a May 20 press release.
“As Ashlanders return to a new normal, and especially with the upcoming holiday weekend, we would like to remind everyone to take responsibility for your personal health and to protect your fellow community members,” said Heather Reffett, ACHD Health Commissioner. “Our individual actions will slow the spread of COVID-19, which will ultimately save lives.”
Ohio Governor Mike DeWine issued a new “Ohioans Protecting Ohioans Urgent Health Advisory” on May 19 which replaces the Stay Safe Ohio order that was issued by the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) on April 30, 2020.
The health order replaces language requiring Ohioans to stay at home with limited exceptions with language that strongly recommends that citizens, especially those who are high-risk, stay home as much as possible. The order does not change the mass gathering restrictions, which is limited to 10 people.
Ohioans are urged to practice precautions which include: practicing social distancing, wearing a face covering, staying home when sick, disinfecting frequently touched surfaces and washing hands often.
To minimize the risk of infecting healthcare workers, individuals should call ahead before seeking medical care to discuss symptoms. COVID-19 symptoms can include fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, diarrhea, vomiting, conjunctivitis, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, and new loss of taste or smell.
Of the 19 positive cases, 17 individuals have recovered, one is recovering, and one is hospitalized. ACHD is currently working with 44 individuals who have been exposed to COVID-19.
Additional information about COVID-19 is available at the ODH website, www.coronavirus.ohio.gov.
ODH also staffs a Call Center 7 days a week from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. The number is 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634).
The following is a history of the number of confirmed laboratory cases of COVID-19 in Ashland, Ohio:
- Case number 1 was reported on March 18.
- Case number 2 was reported on March 27.
- Case number 3 was reported on April 2.
- Case number 4 was reported on April 9.
- Case number 5 was reported on April 10.
- Case number 6 was reported on April 26.
- Case number 7 was reported on April 27.
- Case number 8 was reported on April 30.
- Case number 9 was reported on May 1.
- Case number 10 was reported on May, 4.
- Case number 11 and 12 were reported on May 6.
- Case number 13 and 14 were reported on May 7.
- Case numbers 15, 16 and 17 were reported on May 11.