Woodward

Angela Woodward takes an oath of office to become the newest member of Ashland City Council. 

ASHLAND - After taking an oath of office at her first official meeting Tuesday, Angela Woodward took her seat as representative of the fourth ward on Ashland City Council. 

Surrounded by family, friends and staff from Ashland County Cancer Association, where Woodward serves as executive director, Woodward placed her hand on a Bible and swore to serve faithfully, honestly and impartially in her new office. 

Woodward

Ashland City Council member Angela Woodward thanks her fellow council members for appointing her to represent the city's fourth ward. 

In other business Tuesday, the council voted to enter into an agreement with The Ohio Department of Transportation to pave the U.S. 250 bypass from U.S. 42 to the Ashland Industrial Park. 

The project is expected to take place during the 2020 paving season but is budgeted as part of ODOT's fiscal year 2021 Urban Paving Program.

ODOT will cover all preliminary engineering and environmental study costs as well as 80 percent of the roadway construction and construction engineering costs. The city will pay the remaining 20 percent, an estimated $386,000. 

Council members also approved an agreement with ODOT to allow the state transportation department to conduct a study of traffic signal timing on Main Street from Lee Avenue to Claremont Avenue.

After the study is conducted at no cost to the city, city officials expect ODOT will make recommendations to improve traffic flow in the area. 

Council members scheduled two public hearings to be held July 16. The hearings will be held at 7:10 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. during the council's regular meeting at the Ashland City Schools Administrative Office. 

The first hearing will be to consider vacating the alley between the former Ashland Middle School site and First Presbyterian Church. The alley is the drive that leads to the former middle school parking lot. 

Mayor Matt Miller said the city is requesting to vacate the alley because city leaders no longer feel a need to maintain the drive. 

The second hearing will be to consider proposed changes to the city's signage regulations. Miller said at the request of the administration, the city's planning commission has reviewed zoning codes and come up with a suggested overhaul of signage rules. 

Council members will be invited to attend a planning commission meeting to hear about the proposed changes prior to the hearing. Planning commission meetings are open to the public and are regularly held at 4 p.m. on the first Monday of each month in the Municipal Building conference room.